TAXI   DRIVERS


I’ve ridden hundreds of taxi cabs.  And amongst them, I met two inspiring men that gave me the best taxi experience ever.

The first one made me laugh.  As I slipped inside his cab, I couldn’t help it.  Well, who wouldn’t laugh when I saw my face staring back at me?

The driver had placed a small mirror attached to the headrest.  A quick glance showed that there was one too on the other seat.  Plus there were cute stuffed toys laid out in the back.  Well, it seemed funny to me.  Stuffed toys?  Mirrors?  In a taxi?
So I finally asked, “Why do you have mirrors and stuffed toys, Mr. Driver?” The driver smiled as he answered. “Well, ma’am, I’ve often seen how you girls are always hurrying, especially in the morning.  And sometimes I see that they use this time to put on make-up.  So I thought why not put a mirror?  Surely this will help.”

I laughed again.  I was amazed that he would actually bother to put mirrors for that purpose.  But his next sentence struck me the most.  “I have also seen how it made people smile when they see their faces in the mirror.  If I can put a smile on somebody’s face, then that makes me happy too.”

The second driver surprised me with the ambiance that he created.  His cab smelled sweet and clean.  Soft instrumental music could be heard.  His “good morning ma’am” was uplifting.
After I gave him directions to where I wanted to go, he then surprised me more.  “Ma’am, if you would like to read, here are some materials for you.”  And right there in the middle of the front seats indeed were several things to choose from – a newspaper, a Bible and a small inspirational book.

These two taxi drivers inspired me.  The experience taught me something beautiful and inspirational.  You can can always choose to do your work with love and creativity.  I left both taxis feeling lighter and motivated to live life to the full.

0 comments:

Post a Comment